Sunday, October 26, 2008

Iguazu Falls















So here are two pictures from Iguazu Falls (Iguazu meaning Big Water in a local indigenous language called Guarani) on Argentina's Northeast border with Brazil.  These waterfalls are one of the Seven Wonders of the Natural World and are absolutely breathtaking. The two rivers, Iguazu and Parana, meet to create this amazing landscape and our tour guide told us there are a total of 275 waterfalls over a 2 mile stretch. Besides the impressive falls, there is very rich jungle vegetation around the park and most of the plants have yet to be classified. Our tour guide also told us that the national park is home to over 800 species of butterflies, 435 species of birds, 70 species of mammals (including Jaguars and Ant Eaters), and 40 species of reptiles. 
The first picture (with me wearing my IU shirt to prove that I was there haha) is taken at the highest point of the falls, known as the Mouth of the Devil (La Garganta del Diablo). From this point it is nearly impossible to see the bottom of the waterfalls because of all the mist they produce. Every so often you get drenched by a cloud mist being blow from the falls, which feels good in the tropical heat but is not good for electronic devices like my camera.  We hung out in this area for about forty five minutes marveling at the size, sound, and beauty of such enormous waterfalls. 
The second picture is from the Lower Trail (Paseo Inferior) that contains the most panoramic views of the falls. As you can see in the lower left hand corner of the picture there is a rainbow that formed at the bottom of the falls that makes for an even more tranquil setting. There is also thick vegetation on this path and I ran across various lizards, spiders (including a tarantula), and monkeys. Towards the end of the trail we were able to walk out onto a platform fairly close to one of the smaller falls and get drenched by the cool fresh water. I enjoyed the lower trail most because it was easier to see the whole landscape from one central point and the total environment with the falls and vegetation was quite relaxing. 
All in all the Iguazu Falls are stunning and quite humbling. The ability of Nature to forge such a gorgeous landscape blows my mind. For me the falls definitely rank up their with the Grand Canyon and make all the other waterfalls I have seen look puny. I took around 400 pictures at Iguazu Falls so I have many more pictures to share. This has been my favorite natural site we have visited yet on this trip and I am looking forward to more adventures like this. I hope everyone is doing well and I miss you all. 

Love, Jon

2 comments:

GadgetMaven said...

1 Wonder of the World down, 6 more to go. Sounds like an amazing experience. Thanks for keeping us updated, it's great to hear and see what you are up to!

The Beckers said...

Yay! A blog...what a GREAT idea. Sounds like something a big sister would recommend. ;)

I love it! Keep those pictures coming! We miss you and enjoy seeing your smiling face! Love & hugs!